This brick house has quite a bit of history. The following text is taken from the City of Edmonton Archives:
“Arthur W. Bloomer, an accomplished real estate agent, owned the original property here on what was once called Namayo Avenue. Not much else is known about him or the builder, F. Lewis. This two-storey, hip roofed house is a rare Edmonton example of a Victorian styled brick building.
The home is named after the Scotsman John ‘Jock’ McNeill. He lived here with his wife Jessie and seven children from 1910 to 1914, yet these few years witnessed the beginning of the family’s prosperity. McNeill began the Twin City Transfer Company in 1910. This baggage transfer, moving, and storage business expanded from two carriages to twenty-four in only nine months. With such rapid success, McNeill started Edmonton’s first taxi service, declaring that “the thinking fellow calls a yellow.” The business ultimately became Yellow Cab. McNeill added a private ambulance and bus service, then motorized the business in 1914. Later he bought his own airplane, became president of the Edmonton Aircraft Company, and built the Municipal Airport’s first hanger.”