Text taken from Alberta OnRecord:
Image depicts the general store that was built by the Brosseau brothers in 1892, then bought and operated by Fleuri Perron until it burned down in 1919. It was located on the south-west corner of Perron Street and Mission Avenue. Fleuri Perron is seen wearing a suit and standing in the centre of the photograph.
The following text come from Alberta OnRecord: Image shows the second bridge over the Sturgeon River, built in 1876 to replace the first bridge built by Albert Lacombe, OMI in 1862. The reconstruction cost $700.00 and was done by M. Majeau and Harnois. A toll was charged for horses and vehicles. The bridge was purchased by the government for $300.00 in 1886 and replaced by the steel bridge in 1913. Pelletier’s house and workshops can be seen in the background, far left.
Circa 1900 (Looking East)
Circa 1900s (Looking North)
Original Route: 1913
- Terminus: 124 Street & 132 Ave
- 124 Street & 137 Ave
- 131 Street & 137 Ave
- 131 Street & 145 Ave
- 127 Street
- St. Albert Trail crossing
- 170 Street & 145 Avenue
- Grandin Road
- St. Anne Street (formerly St. Jean Baptiste Street) & St. Thomas Street
- Edmonton Street & St. Thomas Street (note: Edmonton Street no longer exists)
- Edmonton Street & St. Michael Street
- Piron/Perron Street & St. Michael Street
- Terminus: Piron/Perron Street & St. Anne Street
Perron Street, St. Albert – Looking North: 1913 and 2014
St. Anne Street, St. Albert – Looking North: 1913 and 2014
Although the newspaper identifies this spot as outside St. Albert, looking that the track map versus the scenery in the photo makes present-day St. Anne street the only possible location.
Midway between Edmonton and St. Albert: 1913
Summerland, 145 Ave Edmonton – Looking Northeast: 1913
Read more about the Summerland community here.
Car Barn and Yard, 124 Street and 137 Avenue: 1913
The car barn and yard were located near 124 Street on the south side of 137 Avenue. Check out the UAlberta Press map for details.
Track Construction at Unknown Locations: 1913
Unknown Locations: 1913
The Story of the Edmonton Interurban Railway
Read a lot more about the Edmonton Interurban Railway from the Edmonton Capitol (August 9th, 1913) here.
Edmonton Daily Bulletin – July 12 1913
124th Street Passenger Depot (January 3, 1914)
Catastrophic Fire: April 1, 1914
Plans for Regional Expansion: May 1914
Even though the only piece of rolling stock was gone (there is no evidence that service resumed in five days as promised above) and the car barn was destroyed, the Edmonton Interurban Railway did not seem deterred; at least not in May 1914. Instead they were considering building at least one new line. The Edmonton Capitol reads as though it were in operation and not on hiatus.
The Dream Dies
The end came without a bang. The fire did not kill the EIR, at least not immediately. It just seemed to fade away.