Read about the cemetery here.
Text from PAA catalogue: “Entrance to Jewish Cemetery, located at 7622 – 101 Avenue in Edmonton. Land purchased for the cemetery in 1907.”
Google Streetview (Approximate)
Shows Jewish Chapel and memorial to local fallen Jewish soldiers of WWII.
Beth Shalom Synagogue was built in 1950 on Jasper Avenue. Although the building itself has changed little, the area around it (Oliver) is very different in the 2010s than it was in the 1950s. Click here to read the congregation’s history prior to 1950.
Click here to read a detailed timeline of Beth Israel’s history.
The following text is taken from here:
“The original Beth Israel Synagogue was constructed in 1911-1912, on the corner of 95th St. and 101 Ave. and was opened for High Holiday services on September 12, 1912. At the time, this was the heart of Edmonton’s small Jewish community, which had begun in 1893 with the arrival of Abe Cristall, the Congregation’s first President. The building is the oldest extant synagogue in the Province of Alberta.”
1914 (Looking West)
Google Streetview (Looking North)
1910 (Looking West)
The cornerstone of Beth Israel is being laid in this old 1910 image.
EdHGIS: 1914 Fire Insurance Maps & Google Earth Imagery
Interior Views (1912)
These images are from the Beth Israel homepage.
1926 – Interior (Dining Hall)