The Koermann Block at the corner of 1905 and 1920 Street in Fort Edmonton Park is a recreation of the historic Koermann Block (aka Ukrainian Bookstore) from old Edmonton. It was at the corner of 96 Street and 102a Avenue. But here is where it gets interesting. The building is still there and looks pretty much as it would have in the 1920s on the outside – I have no idea about the inside. The original is a bit longer than the recreation (with extra windows and an extra door), but otherwise they are very close.
So check it out below – as it was, as it is and as it has been recreated. 😉
1922 (Looking North)
Google Streetview (Looking North)
Google Streetview (Looking Southwest)
Google Streetview (Fort Edmonton Park Recreation)
EdHGIS: 1914 Fire Insurance Maps & Google Earth Imagery
Reed’s Bazaar opened on Jasper Avenue in November of 1905 selling tea, coffee, candy and household supplies to early Edmontonians. In 1912, the first location was destroyed by fire. Upon reopening in 1913 Reed’s was specializing in fine china, glass and silverware and had changed its name to Reed’s China and Gift Shop. From 1917 until 1965 Reed’s was located in the area of 103rd Street and Jasper Avenue. In 1985, when Reed’s marked its eightieth anniversary, it was the second oldest continuing retail business in the City of Edmonton. (Text adapted from City of Edmonton Archives catalogue)
102 Street & Jasper Ave Location
10325 – Jasper Ave Location
101 Street Location
In at least one year Reed’s set up a branch store for the holiday season (see below).
Looking east on Jasper avenue a lot has changed in the last century or so. The first scene we have is how Edmontonians today see history at Fort Edmonton Park. It really isn’t so different from the reality of the 1890s. The reality of the 1890s, though, is very different from the 2010s!
1885 Street at Fort Edmonton Park
The Ross Bros Hardware Store provides a great reference point for placing the below image. Based upon the EdHGIS overlay it appears that the Ross Bros store was where the reconstructed Alberta Hotel’s west courtyard is now situated. The second Google Streetview below comes roughly from the same viewpoint as the 1890s photo. Much has changed!