The fire station was built in 1893 and served as Edmonton’s first town hall. Today the entire site is occupied by a curved driveway to an underground parking structure underneath Canada Place but the fire hall has been recreated at Fort Edmonton Park. Enjoy the photos and be sure to check out the overlay map at the end!
1903 (Looking West)
1909 (Looking South)
1912 (Looking Southwest)
1914 (Looking Northwest)
Circa 1910s (Looking Northwest)
Google Streetview (Looking South)
The space once taken up by the Fire Hall and Police Station is now a non-descript driveway to an underground parking structure. If you want to see the Fire Hall you are better off to go to Fort Edmonton Park and view the recreation than come here.
Google Streetview (Fort Edmonton Park)
EdHGIS: 1914 Fire Insurance Maps & Google Earth Imagery (Looking West)
This image shows Greenfield’s Exchange along with the old fire hall and police headquarters in the background.
The reconstructed Alberta Hotel now occupies this site and 98 Street no longer runs between Jasper and 105 Aves.
1923 – Interior
This area was an early government and business core in Edmonton. It’s most notable buildings were Edmonton’s first Fire Hall and Police Headquarters (RCMP posts notwithstanding). The Fire Hall also served as Edmonton’s first Town Hall and has been reconstructed in Fort Edmonton Park.
Above: Edmonton’s Fire Hall and Police Headquarters in the 1910s and again in 1956. Today this area is a ramp that leads to Canada Place’s underground parking.
Above: James A. Powell’s Implement Company building at the corner of old 98th street and 101a ave in the 1910s.
Above: St. Elmo’s Hotel was built in 1905 and is pictured here in 1911.
Above: Edmonton Shoeing Shop Carriage and Wagon Works, owned and operated by D.G. Latta and Lyons (later of Lyons Motors Edmonton Ltd.), situated next to St. Elmo’s Hotel at 132 Fraser Ave in about 1905. Today this area is part of the eastern end of the Citadel Theatre.
Below: An interior view of the Shoeing Shop in 1908.