The following text was taken from a Lawrence Herzog article:
Designed by renowned Edmonton architect Herbert Alton Magoon, the King Edward Hotel was opened in November 1906 by businessman and alderman John Coleman Calhoun on land he had used for his livestock operation. Calhoun named the hotel at what became 10180- 101 Street after the reigning monarch of the day.
“The King Eddy,” as locals came to call it, promptly became a popular place to gather and partake in a libation or two – at least until prohibition came along. Calhoun completed expansions in 1908 and 1910, giving the hotel 110 rooms, the most of any hotel in Edmonton at the time.
Visiting dignitaries included Prime Minister Sir Wilfrid Laurier, who stayed at the King Edward in 1909. The hotel was renovated right after the Second World War, with new Moderne-style cream cladding, and its “100 rooms distinctively decorated and modernly appointed,” as a 1945 advertisement put it.
A three-storey, $300,000 addition designed by architect George Heath MacDonald was constructed in 1951, providing 27 more bedrooms and a penthouse. Another $250,000 expansion was completed in 1964, overseen by hotel manager John R. Calhoun, son of the original owner.
The King Eddy operated until it was gutted by a fire that claimed two lives on April 23, 1978. It was demolished in 1980 and replaced by the Manulife Building.
Read more about Edmonton’s boomtown hotels here.